Wittenmyer @ CST:
Reinsdorf, in Orlando on the eve of owners meetings, … confirmed for the first time a Sun-Times report last month that he was willing to let the Florida Marlins interview Guillen for their manager vacancy in exchange for a high-level player.
”The Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, and we told them we’d let Ozzie go if they gave us a particular player,” Reinsdorf told the Sun-Times. ”But we knew they couldn’t give us the player.”
Sources told the Sun-Times the player was touted young slugger Mike Stanton, but Reinsdorf said it wasn’t Stanton. He declined to identify the player, but speculation points to first baseman Logan Morrison.
”We were never going to let Ozzie go, but if they would have given us this particular player,” he said, ”I would have let anybody go. … Everybody is available at a price. The only player I had that wasn’t available was Michael Jordan.”
Don’t miss the last line!
UPDATE: Buford nailed it in his October 29 comment:
Here’s the key sentence in KW’s response “That’s tampering. All I can say is the report isn’t COMPLETELY accurate.” This leads to the obvious question “Which part of the report is accurate and which part is not?” I would think the following is true (1) the Marlins want Guillen and (2) the Sox will let Guillen go, but only if compensated. The Stanton give-up may be the inaccuracy, but other players may also have been discussed.
With the Sox need for LHH and Konerko’s possible departure, Florida 1B prospect Logan Morrison would be a wonderful addition.
DeLuca @ CST: (via MLBTR):
Guillen confirmed before Game 2 of the World Series that after his relationship with general manager Ken Williams reached a boiling point late this summer, the Florida Marlins were granted permission by the White Sox to interview Guillen — their former bench coach — for their vacant managerial job.
According to major-league sources, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was intent on making Guillen his next manager. Talks, sources say, progressed to the point that there was discussion of executing a trade that would send Guillen, who has a year left on his contract, to the Marlins for 20-year-old outfielder Mike Stanton, who hit 22 home runs and knocked in 59 runs in just 100 games as a rookie this season.
After Guillen met with chairman Jerry Reinsdorf late in the season and agreed to return to the Sox in 2011 — but not getting a desired extension — the Marlins talks died, sources say.
To the Sox FO: You don’t get players like Mike Stanton like this. Mike Stanton is worth much much more than Ozzie Guillen.
UPDATE: Marlins sources are denying that they had such talks (MLBTR). And a source told MLB.com that such talks “never happened” too.
UPDATE #2: Mark Gonzales reports a source familiar with the Marlins’ situation confirmed that the Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, but the Sox wanted player compensation and the Marlins didn’t receive permission.
UPDATE #3: Kenny Williams confirms Gonzales’ story:
According to a high-ranking White Sox source, the Marlins called and inquired about Guillen and the White Sox demanded compensation just to talk with him, with one year still remaining on Guillen’s contract. The two teams never came to an agreement over the compensation, with Stanton not serving as any sort of talking point, so official permission was never given to the Marlins to talk to Guillen.