Since the White Sox traded Sergio Santos to the Blue Jays, who is in line to become the White Sox closer in 2012?
— Steve, Plainfield, Ill.
Assuming no other trades are made involving the bullpen, Jesse Crain and Matt Thornton would be the leading candidates to start the season. But Addison Reed is one of the major reasons why Santos became expendable.
Reed, who turns 23 just after Christmas, had a 1.26 ERA over 43 games during four Minor League stops last year. He struck out 111 and walked just 14 in 78 1/3 innings, not to mention his 12 strikeouts in 7 1/3 innings with the White Sox. The right-hander definitely stands as the team’s closer of the future, and the organization has no doubt he can handle the role.
Other White Sox links:
- James looks at a hypothetical Gordon Beckham trade, looks at Brent Lillibridge being a popular trading chip, bids farewell to Mark Buehrle, and wonders if the the 2012 White Sox could be competitive.
- Speaking of Buehrle, here’s his interview with Chuck Garfien (10:42). BTW, the Sox received the 43rd pick in the draft for losing Buehrle.
- Reactions to the Sergio Santos–Nestor Molina trade: James, J.J., Mike. Also, FutureSox looks at Nestor Molina.
- BTB published its ‘All “true White Sox’ team. Speaking of BTB, it has calculated the ” for the entire 2011 season: AL version, NL version.
- J.J. points that Michael Cuddyer and maybe Jason Kubel may be leaving the Twinkies.
- Phil Rogers wants your team to pickup non-tendered Bazooka Joe.