Guillen … agreed with Williams that he wouldn’t be nice enough to stick around for weeks after getting fired.
“Yeah, if [chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] fires me, I’m going golfing,’’ Williams said. “See you later. If you guys want to talk to me by phone, fine. But I’m out of here.”
August 20, 2011
“Go get the inspirational speeches from someone else. I’m [angry],” Williams told MLB.com, responding to a question concerning the White Sox chances to claim an American League Central over the final 40 games. “This team should be 10 games over .500 right now.
“That’s the bad news. The good news is we still have time to right the ship. But if you are looking for inspiration, or anyone is, or pats on the back from this recent surge, you are looking at the wrong person. I’ll give you a pat on the back if you end up in first place.”
Williams said that anything short of winning the division would be an obvious disappointment, adding that winning the division really isn’t even good enough in the White Sox championship-oriented minds. He acknowledged, as an example, being impressed by Alejandro De Aza’s play since called up to the big league club, as the outfielder is batting .310 and infusing life into the White Sox lineup.
But he added that he’ll be more impressed if De Aza keeps it up.
“Nothing is going to impress me the rest of the year unless we are in first place at the end,” Williams said. “Other than that, it’s just find a way to win today.”
Other White Sox links:
- James takes a look at Gordon Beckham’s struggles, and Zach Stewart’s, brief, move to the bullpen.
- J.J. says the Sox may not see much, if any, dropoff with Tyler Flowers taking over the catcher’s job and that Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn should be at the top of the list Cubs GM candidates. Fangraphs agrees.
- colin takes a look at Zach Stewart and Mike takes a look at Brent Morel.
- Satchel Price at BTB says the Sox should be spending more at the draft. Baseball America crunched the numbers and the Sox spent the least in the draft in 2011 but the 2007-2011 period as well.
- Chuck Garfien tells us about Jim Thome’s late mother Joyce and Brett Ballantini update his Sox player values calculations.