White Sox news, Minor Leagues updates and more

December 30, 2010

Kenny Williams to Ozzie Guillen: You handle Oney-Bobby saga

Filed under: Chicago White Sox — The Wizard @ December 30, 2010 12:10 pm
Tags: , , ,

Haugh @ CT:

Oney, Ozzie’s 24-year-old son, put his famous father in another awkward spot Wednesday when he aired details via Twitter of Bobby Jenks’ personal problems shared in the sanctity of the clubhouse.

References to Jenks’ drinking issues, his marriage, an altercation with a clubhouse attendant and an emotional breakdown in Guillen’s office did little but raise doubts about just how private any future interaction with the Sox manager will stay.

“It is an issue I trust Ozzie to manage as there are obvious peripheral issues that are in direct conflict to what we believe and could directly compromise the integrity of clubhouse privacy, privacy that is vital to a team’s unity and success,” general manager Ken Williams told the Tribune in an e-mail.

What could go wrong? Ozzie has been handling Oney less than masterfully… Remember the Guillen-Ordonez fight? Could we have more fireworks?

UPDATE: JJ has a good post about it.

UPDATE #2: Kenny also addressed Bobby’s remarks:

“Not only do I disagree with Bobby’s assessments, I condemn them for being non-factual and the reckless spirit they represent,” Williams said. “The White Sox organization appreciates Bobby’s efforts while he was here, and we wish him well. But if he pauses to reflect on the many hours of conversation and examples of support we have shown over the years, it is my hope he realizes he owes Ozzie Guillen an apology.”

About these ads

11 Comments »

  1. Agree. Ozzie hasn’t muzzled his son to date, so why should the future be different ?

    At some point, Jerry and Kenny have to reach their collective boiling points. And if Oney remains unmuzzled, then Ozzie will need a new job. But then, who the heck would be stupid enough to hire Ozzie with the baggage that his son brings along. Sounds like a job for the Marlins.

    Comment by Buford — December 30, 2010 @ December 30, 2010 2:43 pm | Reply

  2. When Ozzie left the Sox as a player in 1997, he had some pretty harsh comments about the Sox. I’d love to read Ozzie’s parting shots about the Sox to Oney. Then ask Oney how he felt about his father’s 1997 remarks about the Sox/Reinsdorf vs. Jenks’ 2010 remarks about his father.

    You think Oney would rationalize (i.e., BS) that his father’s outburst was justified? If he didn’t, I’d be looking westward to watch the sun rising in the morning.

    Comment by Buford — December 30, 2010 @ December 30, 2010 11:00 pm | Reply

    • If he didn’t, I’d be looking westward to watch the sun rising in the morning.

      LOL!

      Comment by The Wizard — December 31, 2010 @ December 31, 2010 12:23 pm | Reply

  3. I know this whole thing is bad, but he probably isn’t going anywhere. if he did who would manage? joey Cora? I’m just saying we need to put this behind when the season starts.

    Comment by Anonymous — December 31, 2010 @ December 31, 2010 3:03 pm | Reply

  4. Excerpts form a 2-23-98 Tribune article by our favorite scribe, Phil Rogers, regarding Ozzie’s displeasure on being released by the Sox:

    Tribune: “Discarded by the White Sox after 13 years, he waited for his phone to ring as 11 other teams looked elsewhere to find new shortstops. After three months without a job, Guillen accepted an offer he had been holding since early in the off season-a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles, who foresee him having a limited role…”

    Buford: If 11 teams are looking for a new SS and all you receive is a minor league contract, that should tell you something…like, you’re not good.

    Tribune: “…They got rid of me, and they knew they didn’t have anybody better. That shows me that somebody just doesn’t want me there anymore.”…

    Tribune: “…his on-base average was a rally-killing .275. And he ranked last among American League shortstops in statistics reflecting his range. He and Durham were responsible for the White Sox turning only 131 double plays, the fewest in the league…”

    Tribune: “…Guillen’s contract contained a 1998 club option at $4 million, which would have been guaranteed if Guillen reached 550 plate appearances. He finished 34 short, and claims Sox management made sure he would fall short…”

    Buford: Of course they don’t want you around. A .275 OBP, last in range among AL SS’s, and fewest DP’s turned… all for the low, low price of $4 million. Heck, I wouldn’t give you $19.95 and a free set of Ginsu knives for such a performance.

    And it was a vesting option not an entitlement. Any GM with half a brain would have not have allowed your option to vest.

    From player to manager, not much has changed with you, Ozzie. No thinking through a difficult personal situation…just firing BS out of any orifice available.

    But that’s your best character trait, Ozzie…consistency.

    Pass the toilet paper, please.

    Comment by Buford — December 31, 2010 @ December 31, 2010 10:02 pm | Reply

    • Tribune: “…his on-base average was a rally-killing .275. And he ranked last among American League shortstops in statistics reflecting his range. He and Durham were responsible for the White Sox turning only 131 double plays, the fewest in the league…”

      Phil Rogers talked about a veteran/scrappy/grindy ballplayer like this? I wasn’t expecting it…

      Comment by The Wizard — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 2:18 pm | Reply

      • Exact same thought. I had to recheck the byline.

        I knew Guillen had a historically lousy OBP, but the defensive information was revealing. Good job, Phil…did I just say that?

        Comment by Buford — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 3:09 pm | Reply

  5. off subject but should the sox take a chance on bartolo colon, he could start until peavy is back then he could be put in the pen or traded for pen help.

    Comment by Anonymous — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 3:25 pm | Reply

    • If it was up to me I wouldn’t want Bartolo. His last Sox stint was really bad. He even left town before the season was over.

      Comment by The Wizard — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 10:31 pm | Reply

      • true, I was just thinking outside the box

        Comment by Anonymous — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 11:02 pm | Reply

        • Merkin thinks there are more options if the Sox pursue a starter:

          Does Williams have another roster addition up his sleeve?

          What’s the next level coming after going “all-in?” Beyond all-in? Whatever it is called, the White Sox figure to go there as long as the cost isn’t too prohibitive. The 2011 roster needs one more pitcher to complete the near-perfect picture. They could add a starter who could fill in until Peavy is healthy, at which point that new starter potentially moves to the bullpen, leaving Pena and Sale in relief. Williams also could add a reliever, allowing Pena or Sale to temporarily move to the rotation. Unless the White Sox decide to spend big money on closer Rafael Soriano or pursue left-hander Hideki Okajima, there seems to be more options in the starting venue.

          Comment by The Wizard — January 1, 2011 @ January 1, 2011 11:16 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

The Rubric Theme. Blog at WordPress.com.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: